Thursday, April 9, 2009

Final Project Update 01

This project has got to be THE most frustrating in terms of pre-production. I think ive changed my idea like 5 times and as a result have lost alot of time because of it. I finally decided after much deliberation to make a opening title sequence. It would be a precursor to a project i can work on in my spare time during the holidays - based around lil creatures in the woods. I decided on a pretty slow and dark mood for the opener - kinda moody, wallowing and discomforting. Most of this up till now has been done through the score which has gone through numerous variations. I'd initially decided to make a score and then cut footage to that - but my score ended up too high paced and kinda cheery - so after gathering footage from the wooods nearby my place and cutting it to a rather slow rhythm - i did a bit of a tap dance between the score and editing, finally getting them to mesh to a certain extent. Im still not completely happy with the result as portions of the sound track still dont propel the editing. Also the cutting seems to all of a sudden get really fast when it gets near the end - but working with stock sounds has its limitations.

For the moment though its not all that bad, and ive completed the rough cut of the footage and the soundtrack. I'll be doing all the after effects portion of the work in the coming week - with titles and color correction at the top of the list. Ive found working in premiere very constricting with regard to the animation controls on the effects - its very confusing compared to After Effects and so im hoping to do most of my effect work in there. However it is really great for getting your timing and playing with sequences in the initial stages of a concept - where premiere seems to offer the most flexibility. I cant say i use soundbooth much at all - its a very limited package, and really offers little besides noise reduction for me as most of its effects can be duplicated in the other adobe packages.

The reason for the continual change in my concept was a result of trying to be minimalist in my approach - my initial assignment was very after effects oriented and had loads of content that went into it, but after having a look at the opening sequences of gattaca and eraserhead i can definitely see that one can put forward an idea and create a mood with the clever use of color and sound - this is what ive been hoping to do with this project. Its quite unnerving though as i cant see the final visuals until i get into the after effects portion of the work - but the soundtrack is really getting on my nerves coz i cant get it to roll with the cutting - definitely a cause for concern - maybe its just me, i could really use some feedback and suggestions guys Cheers.

Ive uploaded an update on where i am with the project on youtube and the link for it is: Ive also embedded it here - i hope it works:

No comments:

Post a Comment